Monday, June 15, 2009

Giraffe Print Shorts - J. Crew


Get spotted in our eye-catching cotton canvas giraffe print. City fit—our lowest rise. Sits just above hip. Zip fly. Slant pockets, back slit pockets. 3" inseam. Import. Machine wash.
was $65.00 select colors $19.99 item 10547 (sold out)


I loved these at first sight (in the store and online) but wasn't willing to shell-out the original price. Plus, they came out with the "Resort Wear" roll-out in the winter, which was way before I was even considering wearing shorts! However, once they went on sale, I was lucky enough to snag 'em!

I had to size-up to a 4 on these shorts. The fabric is pretty stiff and doesn't really give at all, plus the length is very short (they say 3", but I think they are more like 2.5" myself), so the size-up makes the fit more comfortable and they sit lower on the hips, lengthening them a little bit!


As with all the unique JC pieces, these shorts definitely are eye-catching and get a lot of compliments.


HOWEVER... the trend toward lower-quality definitely is evident in this particular pair! The second time I wore them, I noticed the inside seam on one of the legs was completely ripped out. Not so much ripped out, but was never sewn to begin with!! You can see wear the thread was sewn into just one side of the fabric, but didn't catch the other side! Also, the button was extremely loose when I bought them, and fell off the first time I wore them!! Both of these issues I was able to fix myself, but seriously! And it's not as if I'm bustin' out of these puppies... they're a little too big! SO... I LOVE them, but come on JC... this is not the only item I've had these issues with here lately!!




Eating on the beach at Sandals Ocho Rios


Our sans-baby Jamaica trip in March!


(sorry these aren't very close-up, these are the only pics I have of me wearing the shorts!)


** Outfit Ideas: The catalog pair these with the Travel Trench in tan, which I do have, but the weather isn't exactly warranting that right now. Besides pairing with the Merino Lea Sweaters, I like to put on the Ruffle Sleeve viscose tank in neutral, a glass pearl necklace and gold strappy sandals (or JC Tierney Sandals).

** Bottom Line: Definitely suggest sizing up on these. LOVE the look ... I'm sure it's pretty trendy, but I think I'll get a lot of wear out of them this summer (that is, if more of the seams don't keep bursting out!)




Do you own these? If so, what do you pair them with? Have you had any quality issues?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have the same shorts and I agree that they are a little bit stiff. I can wear 0 in shorts but I had to buy a 2 in these. I have worn them only once (the weather is not cooperating this year) but got a lot of compliments.

    So funny, my husband and I stayed at Sandals Ochos Rios two years ago for our last "adults-only" vacation (I was 5-month pregnant). I really liked it but the beach is much nicer in Negril (we went back to Jamaica this year with our daughter).

    ReplyDelete

What Are You Thinking?